Dental anxiety is very common barrier to care and something we hear about it all the time from our patients. COVID-19 has served to heighten individual’s anxieties as demonstrated by the increased uptake of psych services since it began. At d-spa, keeping our patients and staff safe is of highest priority. Hence, we have taken additional precautions, above our usual infection control standards.
These include: QR check in on arrival, temperature and health screening, requesting symptomatic individuals to defer their appointment, hand sanitising on arrival and departure, pre procedural mouth rinse, longer appointment times to ensure there are not too many people in the clinics at one time, compulsory mask wearing at all times for staff and patients, and a COVID-19 safety warden at each clinic.
People are naturally nervous about clinical treatments. As health professionals, we welcome uneasy patients and do our best to make their experience a positive one.
Some small easy to incorporate tips for anxious patients include:
- Bring headphones to listen to music or a podcast during appointments.
- Practice meditation in the days prior to the appointment to help enter the appointment with a positive mindset.
- Ask about sedation options. We offer different solutions to assist patients feel more comfortable.
- Bring a friend or family member with you. Having someone that makes you feel calm or puts you at ease can be of enormous benefit during an appointment.
- Let us know how you are feeling on the day. When you book or at the start of the appointment tell us if you are feeling anxious. This will help us better prepare for your needs and work to make you comfortable.
- If you are a new patient, you can even come in prior to the appointment to meet our team and familarise yourself with the clinic environment.